Wednesday, August 6, 2014

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA STREET

As many of the people in my life know, I live on the "iconic" America Street in downtown Charleston, SC. Honestly, when we moved here last year Kayla and I were completely oblivious to the dangers of certain neighborhoods in downtown. Completely. Oblivious. For the longest time when people asked us where we were living they'd give us the most concerned looks when we told them "Oh we live on America Street." We quickly changed that answer to "Oh we live off of upper King", which technically wasn't a lie but we didn't need anyone's sympathy. Truthfully, I loved our block. Yes we had to share our address with some idiots that liked to smoke like chimneys and park in our parking spots, but thankfully our downstairs neighbors were absolute gems. So when it came time to start looking for other places of residence I was partially saddened at the idea of leaving downtown. Parking is terrible, traffic is just as bad, and the Summer tourist situation is the worst. Not to mention when it rains we get our very own swimming hole right in the middle of our street. But it had been home for the first year of my independence and it meant something to me. Also there is always something to do down here and King Street is one of my favorite places in the world.

Thankfully we didn't have to move very far. We literally moved across the street. So here I am, living in the outskirts of the hood for another year. One of our downstairs neighbors is still on our block, living just across the street from us. There are some college Junior babies living in our old apartment. And we are living in the most charming house with a screened-in porch, backyard, and studio space. It's wondrous y'all.

Today I'm sharing pictures of my room and I'll be posting pictures of the rest of the house when we get it fully decorated. Like everything, it's a work in progress.

Here is my creative space. Behind my bedroom door I have my bulletin board with inspirational things, including that ridiculously cute outfit I tore out of J. Crew's new Style Guide (I'm counting down the days until Fall). This is also where I watch a lot of Netflix and eat my lunch while I'm going over designs for my new cards. It's pretty much my happy place, complete with a giant piece of spongy coral and a catnip plant my new roommate Caroline gave me… because we have a mosquito party going on up here.









One of the most unfortunate things about this house is that it doesn't have closets. But, my parents are pretty freaking thoughtful and bought me this Threshold Wardrobe for one of my birthday presents. It fits perfectly in the corner by the exposed brick chimney. That thing that looks like a plate is actually a flume cover… and I have no idea where the rest of this chimney goes because there isn't a fireplace attached to it. Regardless it adds some serious character to this room.







Kayla passed on this old window pane. I wiped it off and let it rest its' bones in front of some hideous plugs under my window-unit-air-conditioning-thing-why-so-many-dashes-idk. Taped on the front are four of my favorite Rifle Paper Co. cards including the Marie Antoinette card and Stop and Smell the Roses. The other two to the far left were gifts from Kayla and I couldn't bear to leave them in a box. They are by the designer Ashkahn and his stuff is incredible and very relatable.




Firstly, can we just talk about how beautimous that Chaleston Print looks on that wall all framed up and fabulous? I've been holding out on doing anything with it until we moved here and I'm so glad I did. It's been a little nugget of joy and sometimes I just sit and stare at it. Mac & Murphy still have some on their website. Snatch that sucker up. I'm so serious. Anyway, this is my bed. Those two rugs were an absolute steal at just $5-$7 a piece. Sometimes I sit and stare at those too. My room's a cool grey color and it pulls everything together rather nicely… and that lighting. The tree view up here in my little  room is so beautiful. I absolutely love it.




At the end of my bed I have my vanity area. I used to have tons of pictures and clippings lining the mirror space in our old apartment, but I've since decided to simplify my decor. I'm realizing I'm not seventeen anymore and most times less is more, unless you're drinking ice-coffee and then more is ALWAYS better. I put my magnified mirror in front of some unsightly plugs because for whatever reason that is beyond me, they put the outlet above the chair railing. I don't know, I just live here. Regardless, I'm just glad my mirror is finally hung up after a year of it being propped up on the wall. No more hunchback.




Last but not least is my dresser area. This picture is horribly blurry, but it does its' job. The painting on the wall to the right was done when I was twenty. I can't part ways with it. The sentimental value of it is beyond most things I own. I made it at a transitional time in my life and I feel like I'll have it forever. The small giraffe monogram was painted by my best friend's sister for my birthday last year. Also visible is my plant Saracen, named after Matt Saracen. It was a gift from my friend and her boyfriend for my most recent birthday. I'm surprised it's still alive to be quite honest.






There ya have it. The room where the only "magic" that happens is my creative ability to not stumble over my own feet every morning while running to the bathroom to do what needs to be done and the skill of not snoring for like, one night a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment