Friday, January 16, 2015

A SATURDAY IN CHARLESTON


Sometimes my heart still yearns for Charleston and all the many nooks, crannies, overgrown alleys, beautifully shaded cemeteries, and all the quaint charm of a locally owned coffee shop.
We don't have any of that in Augusta. None that I've found anyway.
I was mostly inspired to do this post because my friends and I are planning on making a trip there sometime soon (you know, sometime when I have money… and a job… and a real functioning life again) and I immediately started thinking of all the places I'd try to jam pack into my day. Here are only nine locations, but I'm sure in the future I'll share more. Here we go!

Start your morning off with a visit to Sweetwater Cafe in downtown Charleston. Home of the best french toast I've ever tasted in my entire life. They also have a not-too-sweet-but-still-perfect iced coffee and the nicest servers. Located on a side street right beside the city market, you can easily dip over there and check it out if you're embracing full tourist mode. If you're craving the beach that day, you can hit up the one on the way to Folly.

After walking from Sweetwater down King, because come on there's an Anthropologie begging for you to visit, stop in Marion Square for some local goods. Anything from bundles of freshly picked cotton, one-of-a-kind art, beautiful ripe fruits and vegetables. You name it, it's there. Including our local break-dancers that are always there putting on a show at the fountain. If it's nice, I'd definitely consider laying in the grass and soaking up some rays. I've laid here with my jewelry designing roommate reading a book and it was one of the most memorable days I ever had - surrounded with college students and puppies.

All this shopping would make anyone a little hangry. Don't eat what you bought at the market. If you can spare the walk, get yourself over to East Bay and stop by BakeHouse. If you can't walk, get in your car. Hail a cab. Kidnap a horse off a carriage. This place is that good. Taylor Swift has visited here, and Blake Lively ordered her wedding cake and other sweet treats from this lovely little bakery for her wedding to Ryan Reynolds. Reconsidering not going now aren't you? One of the ways I test if a coffee shop is worth my time is by telling them what I usually like and requesting their baristas to do what they wish. This place nailed it with their cinnamon bun iced latte that the (super cute) barista recommended. I'm sure it's a strictly fall drink, but that's just reason enough to make a second trip back when it gets cooler. Their sweets are also equally delicious. Enjoy the hustle and bustle of East Bay too - I spent most of my adventurous strolls over there after I got tired of seeing King Street all the time.

Let's scoot over to West Ashley for lunch. It's worth it. Triangle Char and Bar, located a short drive over the Ashley River bridge (which is a beautiful sight - boats for days), is not only my favorite restaurant west of the Ashley, but it's somewhere I cherish so much because of all the memories I created there: I ate my first "fancy" Charleston dinner, celebrated both my and my old roommate's birthdays, and had my going-away party there. Their burgers are out of this world delicious, as are their appetizers and drinks. The "What She's Having" is my favorite if I'm feeling something other than a V.T.

You're going to want dessert. I know you will. Hit up Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream on your way back downtown. Firstly, it's freaking amazing. Secondly, there aren't that many out there so embrace it. Home to many creative and interesting flavors, you're sure to be dreaming of this ice cream well after your visit.

Head over to Charleston's Waterfront Park to work off that lunch and watch the sunset. With plenty of swings, sights, benches, trees, piers, and the ever-famous Pineapple Fountain, this is one of my favorite places in Charleston. I can't tell you how many nights have ended in sitting here with great friends and how many days have been spent walking the stone paths. It's a peaceful place that everyone should visit.

After you get freshened up, and maybe even take a nap because you deserve it, it's time for some din-din. You can really switch this place with lunch if you want to stay downtown all day, but I prefer to be downtown for the night - in case you get a little too much to drink at dinner and need to walk or call a cab to your next destination. King Street Grille makes me think of three words: Blackened. Chicken. Sandwich. I'll keep "on a pretzel bun" separate. The Ravioli is my jam too, but I don't think they make it anymore. I urge you to stay and take your time. This is a meal that shouldn't be rushed. Get it with mashed potatoes too. Perfect.

After dinner you're going to want to start the night off quietly. Head over to my favorite bar - Closed for Business. Guys and gals alike love this place. It's chill, but still got some excitement in it. In the front the windows open up to let in the breeze, while the middle holds couches and a faux fireplace. In the back are booths for anyone eating from the kitchen. With a menu that changes everyday to bring you the most unique and fresh brews and ales, you can't really have the same experience every time (unless you're like me and you get the Doc's Apple Cider every single time ever… okay one time I got Pear Cider, but still.)

I know that I like to stay at C.F.B. for a long while and you should too. When you're done with your brew, head to upper King around 11 and see if they're playing some good jams at Midtown. I can't tell you how many 90's cover bands, nerd boys singing the hits of the 00's, and bands that knew what was good when they sang Usher's "You Got It Bad" on my birthday in this place. Be sure you bring cash because they'll give you grief if your tab is less than $20 on your card, but well worth it regardless.
Close the bar down and get a cab or uber or whatever floats your boat… just do NOT drive drunk. That's not good for anybody.

I hope you enjoyed this little travel guide! If you've visited Charleston and have any cool places I should visit with my friends be sure to let me know below.

No comments:

Post a Comment