Friday, January 9, 2015

IT'S BEEN A WHILE



Welcome to the newer, more beautiful Taylor in her Twenties. More changes will be coming soon, but until then I wanted to give you some updates, inspiration, and insight into life around here lately.
Last we spoke I'd been back in Augusta for a little less than a month and I was pedaling heavily down the Taylor Paper path. Christmas of 2014 was very good to me and I can't begin to express the thankfulness I feel everyday that I've been able to do what I love everyday for the last few months. With all that being said I'm looking forward to getting a real big girl job - not only because I'm both broke and burnt out, but because I'm ready to get out in the world and do some new things I've never done before as well as meet some new people. If I had my dream job right now, it'd be in a creative space with other people with different perspectives on design and we'd all work together making the world a prettier place in the name of good design. Unfortunately that's not really a thing in Augusta. Therefore I gotta figure some stuff out. Until then, I'll be working on my resume and trying my hardest to keep escaping this creative dry-spell I've found myself in lately.

The first way I've tried recovering from said dry-spell is by broadening my interests. Since I moved back I've been creating a pin board of all the textures, patterns, shapes, surfaces, and overall look of the next place I'll be living in. It started with a completely different look - more hippy, vintage, hipstery - and has slowly evolved into a more rugged and white haven with loads of wood, copper, and Persian rugs. I noticed this was a reoccurring theme when I found myself tearing out pictures from the Men's section of J. Crew's old catalogs more often then the Women's. Who knew that patterned socks could be so inspiring?

With all of this being said, I created a little cluster of things I'm really digging lately: Overwhelmingly beautiful architecture, bold wall-hung letters and hand-lettering, weathered woods, richly colored linen banners, geometric patterned bed sheets and trimmings, oversized and mix-match textured floral crowns, this old favorite from Dave Matthews Band (that I've just recently started to like), perfectly hand-crafted canvas duffles, and wine and navy colored and pattered menswear.

I have to be honest with all of you, Taylor Paper has been a true burden to me the last couple of weeks. Sitting on nothing but $15 in my bank account and being legitimately tired of all my designs has made me wonder if the dream has died. Am I not cut out for this anymore? Am I ready for something completely different? Is my passion for paper long gone? I really can't say for certain that I have answers to all these questions. I'm hoping that by blogging more and actively doing more things in my everyday I can get back the fire I once had for some 110 lb. card stock. Until then you can find me watching Parenthood on Netflix or obsessively listening to this album by Ron Pope and the ever lovely Drew Holcomb and the Neighbors.

Here's to new seasons, new quests, and new dreams - may they be plentiful in great adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment